what self-care looks like

I thought about calling this post "part 1... of infinity" because I think that there are that many opportunities to catch a glimpse of and understand self-care.  Because I think that there is that great of a spectrum of what self-care means.  For now, I'm starting with what I'm learning in therapy sessions, naturopath visits, and my inconsistent, fumbling practice to take care of myself.

For a long time, I believed that this is what self-care looked like - the gentle drowsing in a hammock.  Decompression. Rest. Recovery from the work-week or workday. Checking out from responsibilities, roles, and relationships.

I still maintain that going slow, for me, is part of self-care.  And... my work with the naturopath tuned my ears to hear something else.  Self-care is also doing the good, even challenging, stuff that I don't feel like doing.  It's taking action now, and again, and keeping it up, using my calendar, smartphone, gold star stickers, rewards-along-the-way, falling-off-the-wagon-&-getting-up-again to develop the healthy habits that care for my body, mind, and heart.

Weekly sessions with my new counselor harmonized with the naturopath's voice in my head.  My counselor calls it, "a life worth living."  It's a concept I've been toying with for years.  I even own a book titled Creating a Life Worth Living I've been moving this book into every new apartment, setting it on the shelf, staring at the title, and not reading it.  I so want a life worth living.  I haven't any faith that I can have it nor imagination of what it looks like.

Until, maybe, now.

When my counselor talks about a "life worth living" he's referring to a life that embodies my values.  He points to "self-validating" actions that make me feel good just for doing something that embodies or reinforces one of my values.  Then he requires that I get concrete in my answers as to what those values and actions are.

For example, I was recently diagnosed with "metabolic syndrome."  It's the All-American coexistence of truncal obesity, high cholesterol, borderline high blood pressure, and pre-diabetic levels of blood sugar.  I'm a stroke waiting to happen.  It's discouraging.  But! I value health, vitality, active longevity.  So!  I commit to and practice the new habits that align my body with my value.  That means taking on some challenging and occasionally boring new behaviors that I don't always (or maybe ever) feel like doing.  In fact, right now, at the starting point, they feel like more work and not like the lounge-y self-care of my daydreams.

Fortunately, I have a smart, supportive care team - the naturopath, the counselor, a nutritionist, and even my son and my ex-husband.  Together, these folks provide me with the information, accountability, and motivation to get my actions in line with my value.  With their help, I'm exercising to a sweaty degree, refining my diet to cut sugar and increase fiber and nutrition, drinking gallons of water, and generally incorporating daily habits that demonstrate and embody the value of my health.

Today, it's a heavy lift.  Change is hard.  Change that requires me to plan and adopt new activities within my limited schedule - feels impossible.  I'm already worn out, how can I possibly be expected to plan meals, cook new recipes, log a food diary, work out... and not reward/appease myself with sweet treats and vegging out!  How can I truly care for myself and inhabit a life worth living if I don't make these changes?  I dust off my calendar and find the time to take care of myself in new ways.  I practice mindful breathing during my bus commute.  I prepare and pack healthy meals to eat at the office.  I pull on my gym clothes as soon as I get home and start moving along to the work-out video that makes me sweat heavily and laugh at myself, too.  

Change isn't just repopulating my schedule with healthy activities.  It's also reassigning value to different things in my mind.  What's a sweet treat in the post-sugar lifestyle?  What's relaxing after raising my heart rate to a beet-red-face level?  These are new delights to discover and enjoy.  Even the idea of work as self-care is a new idea for me to unpack and understand.  And that illuminates other areas of my life and other values I say are important to me: creativity and play, connection and compassion, community and service...

I still love the feeling of being held in a gently swaying hammock.  Maybe in six months (or two years...) I'll love the feeling of a hot work-out after a day at the office.  For now, I'm clumsily, reluctantly, grateful to my care providers for the gift of a new-to-me way of doing self-care.      

Comments

Popular Posts